What happens at the Big House

Chris Wormly dominates in highschool (Exclusive video Everything Michigan and More)

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Welcome Back Students


As I pack up every last piece of clothing, my furniture, and make sure every utility for my apartment will be turned on, friends and family often ask about my feelings for the upcoming school year. While many assume I would be dissappointed to return to Ann Arbor and the classwork, I find myself excited for the opportunity to return to the experience of a lifetime.

Not only does Ann Arbor and the University offer incredible academics, but they also offer a vibrant city life, a beautiful campus, and incredible athletic teams and facilities. Though I come from a rural country town, Ann Arbor has become like a second home to me. It houses many of the things I'm passionate about including my education, my favorite team, and more importantly, many of my close friends.

For those of you who haven't been around Ann Arbor during late August and early September, move-in and Welcome Week is one of the most exciting times of the year for students. This is not only the first time many students walk around campus, but also the first time many students get to see their friends after roughly 4 months of separation. Often, these reuniting students spend much "quality time" together to start the school year which often includes the night scene of campus and enjoying the opening football game of the season.

The first home game of the season is always distinct, but much more for students since it is the only game of the season students and the campus can enjoy without the stress of classes and homework. With classes beginning on September 6th, (though many professors seem to ignore this date!) students often become absorbed in the academic life and long for the stress-free time period at the beginning of the year.

This is perhaps the biggest reason that returning to school is so exciting for many students. A "stress-free" reunion with friends, campus, and our football team creates a perfect atmosphere for fun and personal enjoyment. So although my life is sure to become much more stressful in the coming weeks, for now I'm looking forward to my move-in like most of the students, with a sense of foreboding and excitement. We know what stress and challenges are to come in the months ahead, but can't help but be excited for the fun and enjoyment of welcome week and the game against Western on September 3rd.

For those of you also returning to school, good luck and Go Blue!