What happens at the Big House

Chris Wormly dominates in highschool (Exclusive video Everything Michigan and More)

Friday, July 1, 2011

UM fan and the trials of living in supposedly enemy territory, Ohio.



Many people when they find out I am from Ohio and root for the Wolverines in sports, wonder how it is with family. Well its complicated, to say the least. I have had family members delete me from Facebook, friends and family threaten to not talk to me, and other things over me being a Michigan Wolverine fan. It doesn't bug me, because if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it. I think its funny when I get messages or told that I shouldn't put stuff up on Facebook or other media sites because they don't want to read it, or if you bring up sports then don't like what I have to say. I don't rightly care if you like it our not. This is my place to post what I want, or my personal feelings. I don't care if you root for your teams on your wall, or talk about the school/team you like. I will comment and say what I have to say. As I said, if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it. I have had people talk all kinds of talk because I wear my colors proud where ever I go. It just amuses me, when people talk smack then when I tell them facts, they get pissy. Take for instance the other day I got into a discussion with an Ohio State Fan about the car issue. The person tried to tell me that the State of Ohio cleared them of the issue. I was like how did the State of Ohio, tell the NCAA that the Buckeyes didn't break any NCAA rules? I have never read that in any of the newspapers or any credible source like the NCAA  (which is the only credible source on anything NCAA FYI)). So the person I was arguing with got pissed and told me I had no clue what i was talking about. Which only made me chuckle when I pointed out that Pryor got pulled over 3 times with 3 different cars. The response was - well they were loaner cars because his had problems - which again, I have no credible evidence to support this supposed fact. I don't get the mentality of most OSU fans wanting to not understand the difference between NCAA rules and State Laws. It isn't very hard. The state has laws you must follow, and the NCAA has rules you must follow. Speeding breaks a state law, and isn't as far as I can tell against any NCAA rules. Its funny that if you trade tattoos for autographs your not breaking a state law, but you are a NCAA rule. I don't quite know how to explain it any better then that. When a student athlete plays a college sport, they have to abide by the laws of the state, and rules of the school which is usually under the NCAA for sports. If you don't like the rules, don't go to the school. It's very simple. When you chose your school, you must adhere to the rules of the school. If you decide to play sports, you have to abide by the new rules your given just like the other ones. If you take a scholarship, you now have to follow the NCAA rules. I really don't see how its that hard. The NCAA has some strange rules, but you know this going in. The schools compliance officer should know the rules and tell you if it is ok or not. You should know, that trading autographs and memorabilia for tattoos is wrong. You should know taking money from boosters is wrong. You should also know taking cars from dealerships is also wrong. Its not that hard. I am just a construction worker who went into the Army, and I am able to read the NCAA rules, and know what is and isn't allowed. I don't know why some fans (OSU) have a hard time with this. I am sorry for the length of this rant, but it is frustrating living 60 minutes from Ann Arbor and 150 minutes from Columbus, and having to listen to you live in Ohio, you should be an OSU fan. By that logic I should be a fan of the University of Toledo, or for us older Toledo residents Toledo University. No I shouldn't. I should be a fan of the Greatest University in the USA. That University happens to be 60 minutes from Toledo, Ohio. The University of Michigan has great academics, great sports, and great fans. Why would'nt I be a Wolverine fan? The great traditions, the great fan base, the greatest football stadium in the world, the greatest hockey arena in college, and the great city around the school. Would I ever think of switching to any other school? Hell No! . #GoBlue.