What happens at the Big House

Chris Wormly dominates in highschool (Exclusive video Everything Michigan and More)

Monday, August 8, 2011

All Hail Michigan!

With the economy taking a toll on the nation, the entertainment budget may be one of the first things that families and students cut. There are still many, many low cost or free opportunities for University of Michigan fans.
Typically when I think of University of Michigan athletics, I think of football…which although is my personal favorite option, it may not be a budget friendly option for everyone. Recently it was brought to my attention that the U of M mens soccer team is playing at a local college for free.. Since my son loves soccer that is a no brainer. Did I mention that it was free to attend? FREE! That knowledge lead me to the university’s athletic site where individual sports schedules are listed PLUS they have a composite schedule! U of M has men’s and women’s basketball, cross country, gymnastics, soccer, swimming and diving, tennis and track and field. The men also have baseball, football, ice hockey and wrestling, while the women also have softball, field hockey, volleyball and water polo. Now, when I find a free day in our schedule, I will check the composite sports schedule to see what is going on close to me (I am lucky enough to live within driving distance of Ann Arbor also, but for those that are not there are plenty of away games and meets). I can then check the ticket prices and availability to see if it is within my budget. Since most, if not all, of the events will be at a college campus, it will also allow me to “tour” some prospective schools with my child and it opens the conversation about the limited availability of scholarships, the different majors available, the reputation of each program at each school, etc. College sports will also show my son what hard work can do on the field, court, track etc. The talk about the commitment to get there is something I look forward to!

Thanks to D. Willard for the story